Friday, January 19, 2007

What is fantasy?
The first thing that comes to mind is sexual, but I don't think I want to go there. There is a website called M-dwest M@ndy. People end up on my site looking for Miss M@ndy- Mandy doesn't wear a shirt in her blog. I, on the other hand, do. I don't suspect that the men who are looking for M-dwest M@ndy are having their fantasies fulfilled by my blog. M-dwest M@ndy is comfortable with herself, or M-dwest M@ndy is incredibly uncomfortable with herself, I don't know.

Fantasy is creative imagination- I looked it up. Fantasy is a daydream all gussied up. It's a daydream with its shoes shined, its hair combed back and the pantleg breaks, just so, at the shoe.

Daydreams I have.

I dream that I could make a living being creative.
I dream thatI could quit my job.
I dream...
I dream...
I dream...

The line between dreams and living in a fantasy world can be tricky. I can focus so long on a fantasy world that my actual existence will appear dull and common in comparison. I was never so discontent as when I was deep in fantasy- I drank, did drugs and watched a lot of TV to disappear in a fantasy world that could never exist.

When I stopped all of those things, I was left with my world as it truly is- I then had to learn to be content with reality. I still dream, but dreaming without attempting to attain that dream is spiritual suicide.

Men that dream that M-dwest M@ndy is theirs live sad, small, unfulfilled lives.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your presentation of fantasy as "a daydream all gussied up..." As for daydreams, where would any of us be without them? (like Mandy in the Midwest?) Keep writing!

Anonymous said...

Very nice read. Cheers. You know, you can use special software to trace those Mandy visitors who come to your blog, then extort a lot of money out of them. And of course I'm only kidding.

I, too, dream of making a living being creative, and subsequently quitting my job.

Anonymous said...

A very well-written post... that line you speak of challenges me every day.

Anonymous said...

Daydreams keep me sane, but allowing yourself to be content with the ordinary things in life is important too.

And making a living being creative would be heavenly. (sighs)

Lucy said...

Your writing is always a delight. Being only 5', my pant legs never break just so! BUT what a cute description.

Anonymous said...

Midwest Mandy. Oh, man . . . being from South Dakota originally, that conjures up all kinds of weird images!

Anonymous said...

"but dreaming without attempting to attain that dream is spiritual suicide."

...I never thought of it that way. Now I have a lot to think about, and I feel another blog post coming on. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Enjoyed thinking about taking a daydream and dressing it up.

Anonymous said...

Your words are so true, and you've such a way with them. I loved the gussied up description - and I also know what it's like to cross that line into too much fantasy. It's a valuable lesson - thank you for reminding us!