Friday, February 16, 2007

When I was a young boy I was prone to crushes. I remember once reading a true story and falling in love with the main character whose name was Nancy. She was beautiful, courageous and strong. The artist that drew her used simple charcoal strokes that made my young heart flutter.

The story progressed through her early years, her life in the wilderness with her family, her trials and tribulations. My heart broke as a tall gangly fellow began to court her and she seemed to be as taken with him as he with her. I retreated to my room when they married. “I just don’t feel well mom.” I said, trying to hold back the tears, when she asked what was wrong. I realized Nancy would never be mine when she gave birth. I managed to move on.

I guess I should be happy for her, she lived a good, long life and her son grew up to be the 16th president of the United States, but I can’t help but think she would have been happier with me.

Yes, I had a boyhood crush on Abraham Lincoln’s mother.

16 comments:

HeatherAnnastasia said...

haha.

I can so relate to this.

At least Nancy was real, I had terrible crushes on imaginary characters from books I read.

TMTW said...

I agree with Heather... I can also relate to this.

There is something powerfully moving when a writer breathes life into a character. Your heart was entracened by Nancy, who was well painted with words. She lived through your reading just as assuredly as she lived in real life.

Anonymous said...

I love this it causes a moment for reflection...all the heroes as a young girl I fell for.

XO
Kristen

p said...

I had a crush on Abe.

Anonymous said...

There was that episode of Malcom in the Middle when Reese finds a diary and had this total, heart-stopping crush with whatever girl had written it. She was like his perfect, dream woman. Then his mom comes into his room and asks why he's reading her old diary.

Talk about childhood trauma. He was so grossed out! But it was funny anyway.

I think Nancy might have been a bit old for you, though, huh?

paris parfait said...

Very clever take on the prompt - alas, most crushes never develop into anything "real."

Regina said...

Hee hee... could have been worse, I suppose...

Devil Mood said...

Wonderful!
That's what crushes are all about...letting your imagination fly.

Waspgoddess said...

There is a sweetness and innocence in childhood crushes that make them so very devastating. It was probably a good thing that you eventually managed to let go of this particular one.

gautami tripathy said...

I loved this.

I had a crush on Phantom...the ghost who walks...

gautami
Painfully yours..

JHS said...

You poor thing. But we've all been there!

Mine is posted!

awareness said...

big untouchable crushes..........your post made me smile.....i can relate. Not that I had a crush on Nancy....she was all yours.

Rachel said...

I never knew someone who had a crush on a historical character. I always had a crush on John Adams, and very serious crush. He's so romantic...

sigh...

Anonymous said...

In life there are warriors and lovers - you my dear are a lover.
Thanks for the lovely share.

Mary J. said...

Lately, I too have fallen in love with a few characters from books. Sometimes I just fall in love with the books, and maybe sometimes I fall in love with the authors. Is that the sign of truly excellent writing? Or am I just a romantic reader?

Thanks for the post.

Forgetfulone said...

I love it!