Friday, October 26, 2012

Fourth Match.com Date

Email: Sassylady to Misplaced

Re: Your Profile
You don’t say how much you earn and while it might sound shallow I don’t want to waste my time.

Email Misplaced to Sassylady

RE: Your Profile
You mention in your profile that you are 45 and want 2 kids. Yea, you may need to fast track a relationship

Date #1
No Date #1


As you can see it has turned quite nasty in the world of Match.Com. That was never my intention. What I had hoped for is that I would meet a nice woman that I could wander around the city with, hit bookstores together, chat over coffees late into the night and maybe share medical records. (Note what a cheap date I am). The purpose was to "get back out there" after the divorce left me somewhat disillusioned with the notion of love. OK- I've become bitter and jaded on the subject.

I can't get passed the notion that when we commit to another that commitment is actually saying "I will commit to you until something better comes along- I promise". I'm probably over thinking it, but anything worth thinking is worth over-thinking. The most any of us can really say- is that I love you at this moment and I think I want to be with you forever- unless at some point in forever I change my mind and then all bets are off.

So I cancelled the tentative coffee dates I had set up with a note saying that I didn't think this was for me. I decided to take a little break from the world of on-line dating.

I received this reply from one woman.

"It's a shame, you didn't give us a chance. It seems that we have so much in common- New York, Paris, no drinking. Give me a call if you change your mind."

See, that's how we get got. Hope. Maybe this is the one.


2 comments:

Zazie said...

Lovely post and eloquently stated. I've come to think that binding together with someone "forever" is more of some kind of cosmic challenge to be overcome rather than a genuine pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Some men don't even commit in the hope that something better is round the corner. No i'm not bitter and jaded either.