Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I have never been a big fan of change. I like some foundations to remain unshakable.

I grew up in the house I was born in. Six kids spent the 60's, 70's 80's in this house. In the 80's and 90's those six kids became 6 adults with 12 children We would gather, from around the county to reconnect in that house over holidays. No matter how bad things got, I could sit at the kitchen table of my youth and for a moment it would be ok.

As my parents got older the house became too large. The stairs to the 2nd and 3rd floors became more and more difficult for my parents to climb. The gardens, once a joy and a place for meditation, became a chore that was hired out.

They sold the house and rented an apartment downtown. When a light bulb burns out my dad calls down to the front desk and they send someone up to change it- he loves this. They are content and are thankful for the move and the simplified life. I know the move was the right thing to do but I will miss the house this holiday season, in the same way that I would miss a family member.

No comments: