Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I’ve been pulled out of the security line at the International Kentucky Airport. There is a “situation” with some of the items discovered in my bag. The dentally challenged security lady pulls out two small jars of Jif Peanut butter.

“You can’t bring these on board.” She says, eyeing them with the same lust and greed that I viewed Caligula at the age of 14.

“You’re taking my peanut butter?”
“Sorry” she says, not sorry at all.
“They don’t sell peanut butter in Paris”
I am nervous; beads of sweat begin to glisten on my forehead. The withdrawal has already begun.
“But what about the change of which Obama spoke?”
“Not going to happen,” she says as she rifles through my bag some more.

An American needs peanut butter- it’s what makes us America. I try to see her point, I suppose I could force the pilot to eat a spoonful and overtake the plane while he tries to extricate it from the roof of his mouth. I should probably thank homeland security for battling peanut butter terrorism- but I’m feeling less than gracious.

“This is too big.” she says, taking a silver can out of my bag”
“Not my product!” I cry as she studies the can of hair gel.
“This” I say, pointing to my luxurious head of hair, “doesn’t just happen”
Unimpressed, she tosses it in the bucket with other illicit items that will undoubtedly make lovely Christmas gifts for her rather large Kentucky brood.

The rest of the trip is uneventful- I’m given the exit row by myself, God’s way of trying to make it right and I sleep for the entire trip thanks to raiding the medicine cabinet of my neighbors.

I’m sitting at Le Grand Corona near Pont Alma sipping an espresso and soaking in the atmosphere. But with all this beauty around me, I can’t help but imagine a toothless, Kentucky security guard with perfectly quaffed hair and the stink of peanut butter emanating from her rather large pores.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When peanut butter is outlawed, only outlaws will have peanut butter.

Anonymous said...

“But what about the change that Barack spoke of.”


Quality...





z

Anonymous said...

Find some nutella, it works great as a pommade as well... Golly don't they have a Jungle Jims in Paris for all the misplaced people craving Jif? Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

I once smuggled frozen green chili on board a plane -- a true coup!

Anonymous said...

I once got my Eiffel Tower nail-clipper confiscated, so I can understand how you feel... ;-)

Karyn said...

I -heart- the exit row.

I do not -heart- losing items out of the carryon.

You make me laugh.

G. Etranger said...

i can get you peanut butter anywhere. create a PGP keyset.